Happiness can often seem elusive. You may wonder, where is it hiding? What should I do to find it? Am I doing something wrong if I’m not happy?
Working with people who want to make the most of their life, when they sum up what they’re really looking for, it is often simply to be happy, fulfilled or content.
I say simply, yet this can be the great difficulty of course… How to be happy?
So, here are 6 Happiness Habits to help you on your way, if you’d like to find more happiness in each and every day:
- Firstly, we are what we think. So be sure to let go of negative thoughts which are hindering your happiness. Overwrite them with positive versions of themselves, very often it can mean changing CAN’T into CAN, for example.
- Keep the space around you clear and free from clutter. When you do this you will be able to think much more effectively and you will feel calm by the lack of clutter distractions around you.
- Spend more time with the people who help you to feel good about yourself and much less time with those who drain you. It sounds so obvious yet it is so important. We do not have to spend hours with people who suck the life out of us. We have to value and take care of our own health and not allow others, to drain our own wellbeing.
- Include in your busy schedule, time for reflection. Time to think. We don’t seem to have enough time for this anymore. There is always something going on which we ‘need’ to reply to, someone demanding our attention, in far too many ways. Turn your phone off (or to silent) and spend some time just reflecting and asking interesting questions, about yourself, about life, about anything you want. For example, ‘Where might I like to go on holiday this year? What could I buy from the supermarket that I don’t usually buy? Who shall I contact who I haven’t seen lately?’
- Work out your priorities and values – and live by them much more closely than you may be doing currently. When your life and your values are aligned, everything will run much more smoothly, as you will have created congruency between actions and innate desires.
- Feel grateful. However good or bad things are right now for you, when you stop to think, there will always be something to feel grateful for. Something small, something large. Once you focus on feeling this way it will become more natural for you to do. Feel grateful, little and often. Keep a ‘Note’ in your phone or in a journal or diary, so that you can refer to it at any time, especially when you feel lower in mood.
Alongside these habits there is of course eating a good healthy diet (I recently purchased Tom Kerridge’s ‘Dopamine Diet’ – a recipe book based on ingredients “that are known to facilitate the release of dopamine, the ‘pleasure hormone’”.
And regular exercise, just going for a walk most days helps to boost your mood by releasing endorphins.
I do hope these Happiness Habits help you to feel better today and in the future.
However, if you feel that you need to spend a little longer, to overcome any difficulties, before you can truly implement some of these, perhaps you’d like to have a chat. If you would like us to work together I can promise you that we will be able to find happiness for you ASAP and we will put strategies in place so that it will last long into your future.
Check out this process if you’re looking for some support to build your self-confidence, self-esteem, assertiveness and so much more, to achieve those challenges you’ve been putting off. The time is now. You can easily get in touch via [email protected] or call me 07783 107 236.
I’m always pleased to help YOU to be happy 🙂
Thanks for reading!